Friday, July 12, 2013

Project Surprise Room

In about a week, my kids are heading to the cottage to spend a week with their Nanny, Grandpa and Auntie.  They are so looking forward going and love everything to do with cottage life - swinging in the hammock with a good book, playing on the beach, swimming and boating.  I've written about Cedar Beach before and what it means to me and my family.  It's my true north.

While they're gone, I have some big surprise plans for Audrey.  When we moved into our house, her room was one of the first ones we painted.  It's pale lilac, although I know she wishes it was a much brighter colour.  But that's all we've done.  I wrote about that here, you can check out the little bit of progress we've made.

The list of projects for this room was long. And sadly, we've yet to accomplish anything on the list. Not. A. Thing.  In all fairness, we have been working hard on other reno projects around here.  However, it's my goal to complete a few projects to make her room something special while she's gone.  And then surprise her when she gets back!

This is the fabric for her long pillow.  

 ANNBETH Fabric IKEA Yarn-dyed fabric. The pattern is visible on both sides.
It's been purchased and is just sitting there waiting to be sewn.

This is the bed:


She wants a brightly coloured room so we're going with turquoise.



We found her chandy in someone else's trash.  My favorite kind of treasure. We're planning to dress it up with a paint job. I have yet to choose a colour.  I will likely choose something pulled from the striped fabric we're using. Pink?  Any colour suggestions would be appreciated.

Additionally, a chalkboard wall is happening on the desk wall, a la:



Good example of minimal chalkboard paint in the office

I have a zillion ideas swirling around in my head.  I'm always good at making inspiration boards for a space - but it's somehow hard for me to commit the ideas to the actual room and actually get it done.  There are a few craft type projects I'd like to create for the space but we'll see what kind of time crunch I run up against.

Some things that also need to be addressed:


  • hooks for hanging sweatshirts and pjs
  • hooks/jewelry organization/display
  • hang string lights?
  • make a pompom garland/flower/paper/other creative garland 



Isn't planning a surprise FUN??

xo Meg 

7 comments:

  1. You are one good mamma! She's going to love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome surprise that will be! I'd love to come home to a brand new room. Your plans sound fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun stuff! I did that for my daughter while she was away on her exchange program, she loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many techniques and tactics are available in this field.The main tactics is creativity.Because If we have creativity,then only we would be looking a wealth of ideas like that.
    Website Developers in Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful. For best and cheap manual Seo services, Web designings. Must check Web Design Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this blog so much, thanks for sharing with us this valuable blog. Visit
    Lifestyle Magazine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi blogger, i must say you have hi quality articles here.
    Your website can go viral. You need initial traffic boost only.
    How to get it? Search for; make your content go viral Wrastain’s tools
    web application development company in India

    ReplyDelete