Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Style At Home: Top Fall Trends Report

I love Style at Home Magazine.  It's a Canadian publication with mainly Canadian content that usually features real, accessible design.  Homes you could actually imagine living in.  Plenty of beautiful eye candy in a diverse variety of design styles.

I was beyond excited when they contacted me to write a post about their top three design trends for fall.  So here goes:

The Fall 2011 Trends Report:  Three Trends

1.  Modern Global




This trend is dramatic and sophisticated.  It's a well curated, eclectic and worldly.  It's traditional killim rugs and warm velvety fabrics recreated in new bold, geometric shapes.

It makes sense that we would embrace this trend for fall since at this time of year we gravitate towards warm, spicy colours and rich fabrics.  The patterns and colours are perfect when paired with simple, clean line furniture.  The juxtaposition creates a certain tension, don't you think?

2.  The New Neutrals

I am a self-confessed neutral nelly.  I like to be wrapped in soft, relaxing colours in my home.  Soft grey, white?  Yes, please.  Taupe, lilac, and sage?  Why not?  The muted versions of these new neutral colours really can act as a backdrop to many schemes.  It doesn't have to be beige or grey to be a neutral!



(images above from S@H)


Sage is a perfect neutral in this bedroom:



3.  Wood

    This is my favourite trend for fall.  After many years of white painted everything, we are now moving back to incorporating the warm patina of natural wood in our homes.  We are seeing this wood trend everywhere and it really makes sense.  There is so much salvaged wood available.  People are creating new things for their homes out of old wood from barns or old pallets.  Check this kitchen out.  It belongs to Diana of Our Vintage Home Love.



Notice the rustic wood elements here:  the rolling pins and panelling on the wall, the rustic wood kitchen island, even the wooden blinds.  Diana  makes rustic bread boards out of salvaged wood and sells them in her etsy shop.

Aren't they beautiful?




  We even incorporated this trend into our own home in Elliott's room, using recycled barn board to trip out the headboard wall.  I love that we recycled something and added a time-worn look to his space.

How about you?  Are you incorporating any of these trends into your own home?

Thanks to Style at Home Magazine for the inspiration for this post.  It was fun to put together.

xo Meg

6 comments:

  1. Meg, so funny - I saw this article yesterday and was completely inspired!! I love this modern global look lately - it's so sophisticated. And, it's incredible how much 'wood' can add such warmth and texture to a space! I love your son's bedroom. BTW, I had no idea you lived in London??

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know it's London, Ontario, right? Not the cool London, in England. I've never even been there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meg, great article! Thanks for the blog love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the post, Meg!
    And I'm loving the wood wall in your son's room! What's the reaction you normally get for that? I recently blogged about wood ceilings (http://www.styleathome.com/blog/2011/09/16/do-or-dont-wood-ceiling/) and the response wasn't all positive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Elaine,
    Thanks for the post inspiration!
    The response to the wood wall in Elliott's room has all been positive. First of all, he loves it. All his friends love it, all my real world friends love it, and all the blog comments have been positive. Perhaps it's the wall application rather than ceiling? I just wish I was a better photographer (I'm working on it). I'm going to check out your post...

    ReplyDelete