Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I Bought Something... But I'm not sure I like it.

Have you ever done that?  We were in this fabric store across the border in Port Huron and I was bound and determined to find a fabulous fabric for Elliott's window.  I was thinking a roman blind.  I was looking for something graphic, funky, mature and cool.   I got...




some sailboats:






I thought it would fit in well with his room.  We're putting up some weathered barn board on the headboard wall of the room and using a Hudson's Bay blanket on the bed (which, by the way, is much more expensive than I thought).  So I thought the map-type fabric (Robert Allen's Nautica) would kinda fit into the explorer/Canadiana feel I had going on.  I was going to band the outside with red grosgrain ribbon.    



But now that I have it home... I think I hate it.  



It feels too theme-y.  I was really thinking of fabrics like Gate by Dwell Studio:



Or this chevron at Spoonflower:


Or this one from Tonic Living:





Really, I just wanted Elliott to love the fabric and the one request he had for his room was that it be 'mature'.  Not little-kid-ish.  So, are sailboats too little-kid-ish?  I don't know.  The jury is still out.  I already bought the fabric and my Mom is willing to sew the shade.  Do I just make the blind and hope for the best???



On another note related to Elliott's room, I finished scraping the walls and primed out the crumbling plaster/drywall walls this morning.  I had to use an oil based primer so the skim coat Jay will be doing will adhere well.  The oil based primer says 'odourless' right on the can.  The fumes were so bad, they made me physically sick.  The door to the room is shut and the window is open.  We're heading to the pool for the rest of the afternoon.



xo Meg

1 comment:

  1. I really like the nautical print, but it doesn't pack as much punch as the other bold, graphic prints you're considering. What about making a Euro sham or throw pillow from the map fabric, and doing something more geometric on the window?

    ReplyDelete