Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Buildin' A Room for Elliott - Part 1

   We made some exciting progress this weekend on Elliott's room.  But we also encountered a few obstacles I wasn't expecting.  It appears that the previous homeowners of this house hung the wallpaper in Elliott's room on un-primed drywall.  As a result, it won't come off.  At least, not without removing the paper layer of the drywall too.

After Day 1:

The bed:




The walls:




    Not much progress on the wallpaper removal.  I tried wallpaper stripper, and I rented a steamer from the Home Depot.  Neither really worked.  The wallpaper has also been painted over so the only way to remove it is to peel the first layer of yellow paint ( an extremely tedious process) and then wet the straw-covered backing paper and scrape.  Good times.

    The weekend is over and we have a beautiful captain's bed, all ready to be filled, primed, painted and placed in the room.  However, the room is nowhere near ready for the bed.  I still have half a wall to strip.  Then the walls need to be primed with an oil based primer and skim coated to make a smooth finish.

After Day 2:



    We have tentatively decided on paint colours for the room.  The bed and desk will be painted BM Kendall Charcoal (HC-166), with the insides of the shelving on the headboard BM Rapture (CC-66).  The walls in the room will be BM Revere Pewter (HC-172).





If you're looking for me today, I'll be stripping the last wall in Elliott's room...

xo Meg

4 comments:

  1. OMG! First off - nightmare walls indeed! :( Second - the bed looks fabulous and the colours are perfect. What a productive weekend you had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I'm so impressed with the bed - it's going to be amazing! And, I love your design plan - perfect boy's room.

    Good luck with those walls - sounds awful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THE WALLS!!!!!!!!!!! ARE KILLING ME!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just installed iStripper, so I can watch the sexiest virtual strippers on my taskbar.

    ReplyDelete