Monday, November 14, 2011

Audrey's Junkyard Bedroom


Jay and I unearthed all the thrifted and gifted finds we have for Audrey's room.  The weather here is perfect today so we were able to start the sanding, prepping and painting process for these pieces.  I am so glad to be starting on this work.  I can't wait for my girl to have a beautiful room!

I'll tell you a bit about our plans for the pieces.  

We found those two corbels in an antique shop in Barrie.  We will use them to support her desk in the little corner with the window (photo lower left).  I think they will be painted a turquoise colour.  There will also be some built-ins over there.  A wardrobe, desk and window seat are planned.  Paint selections to come this week!

We will also use the hutch top for storing her crafting supplies.  I need to find a way to get her organized.  I'm thinking small bins and baskets with labels on the shelves of the hutch. I have a couple of cute DIY ideas for in there.  She is terribly messy.  Hopefully this helps.


The image above on the right is the wall that will have her bed and night tables.  You can't tell from this photo but window is centred.  The pelmet that is giving me nightmares will go up there with curtains and the bed will go in front of the window.



This iron bed was given to us by a sweet little old lady who had just finished her garage sale.  We saw her putting it out by the curb and stopped to ask if we could buy it.  She wouldn't take any money for it, once she met little Audrey.  Her name was Audrey too!  We have had the bed for 6 years now - just waiting for us to fix it up.  We are thinking turquoise.




These frames will also get a coat of paint.  The artwork will go elsewhere. She's just getting the frames but I have other work to go in them.  I feel a little bad about painting the gold one since it's actually pretty nice.  Maybe I'll leave that one as is and paint the others.  Off white?  Shades pulled from her fabrics?  Not sure yet.  



This chair came from my Grandma's house.  It needs a coat of paint and a soft seat cushion and it will be perfect for Audrey's desk.


We found this old light in the crawlspace under our back porch.  Pretty soon, it's gonna be super-awesome.  I'm leaving you in suspense...




xo Meg


5 comments:

  1. Awww Meg, so much suspense! Love all of these pieces! That Audrey is one lucky girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have serious envy right now! Wish we had such thrift store loveliness here. Her room sounds amazing. Can't wait to see what you do!

    I am working on my teen girls' rooms slowly....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see her room! I know that it's going to be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finds! Can't wait to see what you have in store for them . . .

    P.S. Today's my blogiversary, and I'm hosting my first-ever giveaway!

    http://dans-le-townhouse.blogspot.com/2011/11/blogiversary-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such great pieces! Audrey's room is gonna look lovely.

    ReplyDelete